Wednesday, September 22, 2010

september twenty-second two thousand ten








during my afternoon stroll in downtown san francisco, I happened upon a bustling shoe shine stand. not only did the gentlemen who ran this tight operation, wayne and bobby, shine the hell out of my beloved ankle boots but they graciously allowed me to take some pictures. despite the subservient undertones of cleaning a person's scuffed shoes (or in the equally awkward case of pedicures and feet), I enjoy watching the shoe shine man's hands dance around my shoe with the grace and restraint that only someone with well-earned experience can do. thank you to wayne and bobby. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pics! What type of camera are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally:

    Pat's great-grandfather, Giuseppe Christiana, or Joe as he went by when he was older, was a boxing manager and trainer. His nickname was The Bootblack King because he hustled shining shoes on the streets of Philadelphia when he was younger. Also, Pat's grandfather, Carmen, hustled shining shoes as a kid.

    Love,
    Ralph C.

    ReplyDelete